On display now at Milan Design Week is the SSYS 2Y22 Reflection Collection.
“Reflection brings to life the impact of the global changes of the last two years through innovative fashion and design pieces,” said Naomi Kaempfer, Art, Design and Fashion Director for Stratasys. “The collection focuses on three main pillars – personal space, social inclusion and mindful manufacturing.”
Personal space: The last few years have exposed us to the necessity of intertwining our intimate personal and public space. This is being expressed through fashion and identity design that reflects intimacy, emotion, vulnerability, comfortable clothing, home wear and softness.
Social inclusion: The past two years have forced us to face critical social injustices such as equality, gender and ethnicity. This collection is a celebration of our shared humanity and highlights the growing sensitivity towards community building, social inclusion and nationality.
Mindful Manufacturing: Our goal is to create designs that will last for years, across all seasons. This reduces waste and since the manufacturing process is more intentional, each piece has its own unique story. This collection focuses on slow fashion, mindful manufacturing, longevity and respect for the planet and its ecology.
The collection has been achieved using the new Stratasys J850™ TechStyle™ 3D printer, this Stratasys created and curated collection was made possible through close collaboration with seven design groups and includes exclusive dresses and suits, daywear, lighting, luxury packaging, cosmetics, handbags, accessories, footwear and more.
The seven design groups contributing to the SSYS 2Y22 Collection are:
- Karim Rashid is one of the most prolific designers of his generation. More than 4000 designs in production, 400 awards, and operating in over 35 countries attest to Karim’s legend of design. Each piece in his repertoire, reflects the signature style of art graphics and geometry. His interdisciplinary designs digitally transformed from 2D to 3D, create a range of luxury handbags and dresses that are fashionable in both casual settings as well as more elegant occasions.
- Jasna Rok Lab is an award-winning studio, combining innovative fashion and cutting-edge technology whose work focuses on the physiology of feelings. Jasna Rokegem worked in collaboration with 3D Designer Travis Fitch, using both Rhino and CLO3D software to translate EQ to 3D algorithmic structures. This Trypophilia Collection visualizes the meridians that pass through our bodies, reflecting the physical locations and language of each emotion – sadness, happiness, anger and fear.
- Ganit Goldstein is a fashion designer and smart textile researcher specializing in the development of 3D printed fashion. Ganit’s design was inspired by the textures in nature found across the four seasons—from crisp autumn leaves to soft spring flowers. She successfully simulates the way natural light plays with these elements, providing extra layers of depth in her jacket designs. The “GnoMon” collection represents a novel approach to textile customization and rethinks what constitutes a trend and what qualifies as timeless in the framework of fashion seasons.
- FORÆVA is a multi-disciplinary design lab co-founded by Fashion Designer, Lana Dumitru & Architect, Vlad Tenu. FORÆVA’s cross-cultural digital embroidery gives a fascinating insight into the way that social connection can be made through storytelling. The collection shows classic ethnic Romanian designs for modern day living, with 3D printed pieces bringing us closer to these cultures, while also revealing hidden meanings when viewed up close.
- Assa Studio has been at the forefront of exploring the creative potential of additive manufacturing for over a decade. Assa Ashuach has created several designs for the collection that include a unique light fixture design and an Origami inspired customizable clutch bag, printed on Dinamicamiko plant-based leather. His innovative 3D printed Evolve shoe contains a personalized midsole ‘Evolve Sensor’ that studies its wearer while recording their movement data and is currently being exhibited at the Museum of the Future in Dubai.
- Illusory Material is a San Francisco-based design studio, co-created by Jiani Zeng and Honghao Deng, that specializes in optics and software research. As reputable designers and researchers, they are known for their work on lenticular effect, which they bring to life with this new refillable perfume bottle design, the first of its kind!
- KAIMIN is active in the LGBTQIA+ community and has worked with the likes of Bjork, Lady Gaga, and Beyonce. Based in New York, this gender fluid fashion label, has designed three new pieces in collaboration with Travis Fitch, that reflect inclusivity. The body suit, dress and jacket derive their inspiration from the New York parametric urban architecture.
Remember, you can post job opportunities in the AM Industry on 3D ADEPT Media free of charge or look for a job via our job board. Make sure to follow us on our social networks and subscribe to our weekly newsletter: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn & Instagram ! If you want to be featured in the next issue of our digital magazine or if you hear a story that needs to be heard, make sure you send it to firstname.lastname@example.org